Monday, December 12, 2011

Being refused a job for bad credit is it illegal?

This question was asked on yesterday %26amp; the reason it was asked was do to the fact a former co-worker lost her job just like myself. So I want to clear the air on something, this lady husband died 6 months ago and she just lost her job 1 month after her husbands death. 55 years old left with a mortgage credit card bills 2 cars 1 hers %26amp; 1 her husband which she lost do to a repo. She used half of his life insurance to pay off there house yes she is in debt do to the repo %26amp; the credit cards and a few other loans. So the Question was asked for my friend not me because she has gone thru this it could be because of her age 50 I don't know. someone told her if you are refused a job for bad credit it was illegal %26amp; she told me, that is why this question was asked. As for me when I return from IRAQ 8/2008 I found myself without a job,I was in IRAQ January 2007 to August 2008 which was reserve duty. I was told by the owner hey we did not hear from you did not know if you were dead or alive so we had to let you go. Well I'm on active duty now do to the fact I have just like a thousand other americans can not find a job, %26amp; yes my credit is not perfect my wife works fulltime %26amp; is in school so it's hard for her %26amp; me when I'm out of the country I'll be going back overseas not to IRAQ but now to Pakistan. %26amp; my point is well if you lost your job %26amp; you been out of work 1 month to 1 year true you are going to have credit issues, after all no one wants to go thru this. For the ones who gave me some real nice answers thank you %26amp; to Grand Lake Bum yes sir I am a Irresponsible dumb ***, a 21 year old Irresponsible dumbass who has seen more death in my lifetime I lost something more valuable than my credit %26amp; thats friends I have gone to war with so since seeing how perfect your life is enjoy it because you too can find yourself out of work no car deep in debt, so thank you for the nasty remark I'm sure I'm going to get some more rude remarks I welcome them I'm only human not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me or my friend.......Being refused a job for bad credit is it illegal?
I do feel sorry for you, I can't help it. Did you enlist because you couldn't find a job or are you in there for other reasons? And I wish I could help that 55 year woman, no one should find themselves in that situation. Many are like these two, because our economic system exploits them all, for the benefit of a select few like the Obama's. When are the corrupt bastards going to stop and let others have a chance at life?Being refused a job for bad credit is it illegal?
yes if the job entails you handling money and making financial decisions on behalf of the company then they can deny you the job based on your bad credit history...
It is legal if they have you sign a release, otherwise they cannot check your credit score. While some states have bills that will make this illegal none have been made law yet.
If its not a goverment job then yes they could do it for any reason they want.
First off the bat, thank you for fighting for the ones who can't fight for themselves. You are a hero. You protect me and my way of life.

You are the strong and the trusted. Thank you again.



It is hard for most regular people these days and we have to try to help each other. This is our test and we have to pass and show the world what The USA is about. I don't think that the hard times will go on much longer and that it will be better in the end.



Your question about the legality of job hiring requirements or job keeping requirements is a good one and its hard to prove that the employer is wrong. They have their rights too. There are free legal advocates for discrimination cases and this sounds like one for a judge to decide.



I don't know if I helped you, but I really wanted to wish you well.

Come back from Pakistan.
While I think it should be illegal since just because you have bad credit does not mean your are a poor worker, it is not illegal. My credit is fine and I have no problems but my GF's is not so great but she is a very hard worker. I feel it is descrimnation, but employers can check your credit level.
Unfortunately no.... but I do think it's more like a discrimination...people shouldn't judge you because you have a bad credit, nobody wants to have a bad credit, but sometimes things happen that we have no control of.... For instance, loss of job, main reason why we cannot keep up with bills... you get the idea...
No, a company has the right to say that failure to maintain good credit is a reflection on character and to disqualify anyone with poor credit from the pool of potential workers.



Particularly in jobs handling money, I would not hire a person with bad credit. If you think your ';need'; for new clothes justifies your stealing from a department store what will your needs justify when you work for me? I don't care to find out.



Also, most companies will give you ';credit'; for working out a payment plan with your creditors. If you think your credit is keeping you from getting a job, contact the folks you owe. Get on a payment plan. Get them to accept $5 a month until you are back on your feet.



But, much of your Q sounds like excuse making. When asking for a job, making excuses for your situation is a bad idea. Tell your potential employer that you are having a tough time because of ... but that you have contacted everyone you owe money to and made arrangements to make good on your obligation.



I interviewed a kid out of college a few years ago. He came in impeccably dressed. I wanted to hire him. I checked credit and found out he ';bought'; his clothes on credit knowing he did not have the capacity to pay for them. I did not hire him. If he had called me before the interview, came in in jeans and a t-shirt, and explained the reason as he was poor, I would have hired the kid in an instant. I will hire poor folks of good character. I won't hire crooks.
No, it's not illegal as some positions, such as financial or those requiring a security clearance, need good credit ratings to qualify.



As far as your previous job, you have rights under USERRA that protect your job if you are deployed.
It is not illegal to NOT be hired for having a poor credit score. It is generally the larger companies who do this. It is a sign of responsibility and is a way for them to weed out the candidates.



The best approach is to provide the information and reasons up front. When there is a legitimate reason for this mishap, they may be able to turn the other cheek and allow someone to be hired on the premise that they will check every 6 months for improvements in their credit. With the job market so tight these days, the employers are using many tools and methods to acquire the best candidates (on paper).



In your case it should not be an issue because you were deployed. This does not really justify over extending on cars, credit cards and other spending. It is generally worse when you are in the reserves and you had a better paying position than what you earn while activated/deployed. The reduction in funds can make it tough in many situations. There are also laws that the employers cannot terminate you in the event you are employed.
No, its not illegal but it should be. Its unfair. I really think this is making the economy worse. People who have to pay child support still are able to work, and the government will just commence to taking out the owed portion out of that person's check. I think if anything, they should be able to do that, not just deny you the job completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment